Skip to main content

What is a Public Adjuster?

If you have suffered significant damage to your home, you will quickly need to become familiar with the insurance claims process. As the policyholder, the first step in this process may be to identify whom you can hire to represent you.

“Dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Ian has been a challenge. Century is continuing to walk us through the long process. Roberto has been great at keeping me informed and readily available for questions. The journey continues but I am glad to have Century representing me in my Ian claim.”

— Aura Brooks

If you are looking for an adjuster to help you with your insurance claim, the difference between a “company” or “independent” adjuster and a “Public” Adjuster can be very confusing. The professional roles these two play in the claims process are quite opposite.

Types of Claim Adjusters

An “independent” or “company” adjusters may first sound like what you, the policyholder, needs; when in fact “independent” and “company” adjusters work for the insurance companies. For these adjusters, their bottom line is to represent their employer—the insurance company. And they legally represent only the rights of an insurance company. In actuality, what you are really looking for is a Public Adjuster—an adjuster who works exclusively for you the policyholder.

Many policyholders hire Public Adjusters to help document, expedite, file their claim, and to assist them through the entire claims process. Most importantly they represent you the policyholder to the insurance company to ensure that the claim is handled fairly, quickly, and with maximum financial settlement.

Level the playing field between you and your insurance company. Insurance companies hire claims professionals to protect their interest. It’s only fair for you to have a claim professional advocating for you as well.

Schedule a Free Claim Evaluation